The Alexeyevsky Monastery is the oldest one in Uglich, was founded in 1371 by Alexius, Metropolitan of all Russia, an important political figure in the state of Muscovy. It was burned down during the Polish and Lithuanian invasion early in the seventeenth century.
The monastery was rebuilt in the 1620s. One of the churches on the monastery premises is the small and simple-designed but very elegant and perfectly proportioned church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (1628) that has been known for centuries as “Divnaya” (Wondrous) (it is said that people used to stand in front of the magnificent building and exclaim “Divnaya!”) and has always been dear to the hearts of the people of Uglich.Intourist
This Cathedral, currently under restoration, is part of the Bogoyavlenski convent in Uglich.
Construction of the large complex of the Bogoyavlenski monastery, a women’s convent was began in the late 17th century. The massive Bogoyavleniye Cathedral was built between 1830 and 1853. It was allowed to fall into extreme disrepair but restoration is now in progress with much of the exterior completed. In the summer of 2007 scaffolding remained on one wall but on other sides the white stone walls are renovated and blue domes are restored. The original building had frescoes in the arches near the top but these have not yet been replaced.
The church is Russian-Byzantine style which combines aspects of traditional Russian architecture with 19th century styles.
Construction of this cathedral, on the bank of the Volga River, at the historic town of Uglich, began about 1715 on the site of an earlier church. It was built of stone during a time when Peter the Great had ruled that stone could only be used for construction in St. Petersburg. Either the cathedral was began before the decree or it received a dispensation.
Five dark green domes top the yellow and white building. The interior is one large vault covered with both frescoes and painted icons. There are a number of side rooms which display an extensive collection of Icons. There’s a free standing bell tower near the front entrance.
Tour groups are usually treated to a short concert by a small group of acapella singers. The acoustics of the interior are remarkable and five singers sound like a large choir.Waymarking
The Kalyazin Bell Tower is a Neoclassical campanile rising to a height of 74.5 metres (244 ft) over the waters of the Uglich Reservoir on the Volga River opposite the old town of Kalyazin, in Tver Oblast, northwestern Russia.
The steepled belfry was built in 1796—1800 as part of the Monastery of St. Nicholas, with a pentacupolar katholikon dating from 1694. Of its 12 bells, the largest weighed some 1038 pounds (17,000kg). It was cast in 1895 to commemorate the coronation of Nicholas II of Russia.
When Joseph Stalin ordered the construction of the Uglich Dam in 1939 to form the Uglich Reservoir, the old part of Kalyazin, including several medieval structures, was submerged under the reservoir’s waters. This included the Saint Nicholas Monastery and Troitsky Makariev Monastery.
The katholikon was dismantled, while the campanile was left, a landmark towering above the water.
The campanile became the main destination of tourist interest in eastern Tver Oblast. The structure’s islet was shored up underneath, and has a small pier for boats.
An Eastern Orthodox divine service is held in the belfry several times a year.Wikipedia
Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ is known to Petersburgers as the Church of the Savior on the Spilled Blood – or even just the Church on the Blood – as it marks the spot where Alexander II was fatally wounded in an assassination attempt on March 1, 1881. Designed by Alfred Parland in the style of 16th and 17th-century Russian churches, the Church of the Resurrection provides a stark (some would say jarring) contrast to its surroundings of Baroque, Classical and Modernist architecture.
Alexander II died of wounds inflicted in an attack by the terrorist group People’s Will. Immediately, his heir, Alexander III, declared his intention to erect a church on the site in his father’s memory, and moreover to have this church built in “traditional Russian” style – in distinction to what he saw as the contaminating Western influence of Petersburg.
Eventually, after Alexander had rejected several architects’ designs, Archimandrite Ignaty gave the job to Parland, but made the design himself. The church’s final composition drew heavily from St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow and the Vladimir Cathedral in Kiev. Construction began in 1883, and Ignaty died shortly afterward, leaving Parland to complete the job.
After the Revolution, the church – despite becoming an official cathedral in 1923 – was looted. It was closed in 1932, and essentially turned into a garbage dump. Rumors abounded that the church would be torn down. Damage from World War II and the Siege of Leningrad can still be seen on the church’s walls.
After World War II, the church was used as a warehouse for the Small Opera Theatre. The valuable shrine was almost completely destroyed. Four jasper columns with mosaic mountings in them, and a part of the balustrade were all that remained.
On July 20, 1970 the church was made a branch of the St. Isaac’s Cathedral museum, and eighty percent of the church’s extraordinary restoration was funded by profits from St. Isaac’s. The decades of deterioration and then restoration culminated in the dramatic re-opening of the church in August 1997, when thousands of eager visitors swamped the church.
One of the most impressive elements of the church is the extravagant shrine constructed on the spot where Alexander II was fatally wounded, which has maintained a special place within the church’s interior. It was constructed to Parland’s design, and completed in July 1907. Four columns of gray violet jasper serve as the base of the shrine. Rising up the shrine, small rectangular columns unite the carved stone awning and the decorated mosaic icons with images of the patron saint of the Romanov family. The columns are supported by a frieze and cornice and stone-carved pediment with vases of jasper along the corners.
The church has an outstanding and varied collection of mosaic icons. Several icons were completed in the traditions of academic painting, modernist style and Byzantine icon painting. The large icon of St. Alexander Nevsky was created according to a design by Nesterov. The icons of the main iconostasis Mother of God with Child and the Savior were painted to designs by Vasnetsov. The mosaic panel Pantokrator (Almighty) which depicts Christ giving a blessing with his right hand and holding the gospels in his left, in the platform of the central cupola was painted according to a design by N. Kharlamov. Parland and Andrey Ryabushkin completed the framed icon mosaic ornaments.