The Alexeyevsky Monastery is the oldest one in Uglich, was founded in 1371 by Alexius, Metropolitan of all Russia, an important political figure in the state of Muscovy. It was burned down during the Polish and Lithuanian invasion early in the seventeenth century.
The monastery was rebuilt in the 1620s. One of the churches on the monastery premises is the small and simple-designed but very elegant and perfectly proportioned church of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary (1628) that has been known for centuries as “Divnaya” (Wondrous) (it is said that people used to stand in front of the magnificent building and exclaim “Divnaya!”) and has always been dear to the hearts of the people of Uglich.Intourist
This Cathedral, currently under restoration, is part of the Bogoyavlenski convent in Uglich.
Construction of the large complex of the Bogoyavlenski monastery, a women’s convent was began in the late 17th century. The massive Bogoyavleniye Cathedral was built between 1830 and 1853. It was allowed to fall into extreme disrepair but restoration is now in progress with much of the exterior completed. In the summer of 2007 scaffolding remained on one wall but on other sides the white stone walls are renovated and blue domes are restored. The original building had frescoes in the arches near the top but these have not yet been replaced.
The church is Russian-Byzantine style which combines aspects of traditional Russian architecture with 19th century styles.
Construction of this cathedral, on the bank of the Volga River, at the historic town of Uglich, began about 1715 on the site of an earlier church. It was built of stone during a time when Peter the Great had ruled that stone could only be used for construction in St. Petersburg. Either the cathedral was began before the decree or it received a dispensation.
Five dark green domes top the yellow and white building. The interior is one large vault covered with both frescoes and painted icons. There are a number of side rooms which display an extensive collection of Icons. There’s a free standing bell tower near the front entrance.
Tour groups are usually treated to a short concert by a small group of acapella singers. The acoustics of the interior are remarkable and five singers sound like a large choir.Waymarking