The monastery Saint Paio of Antealtares is one of the oldest monasteries in Spain.
In the east zone of the square is the endless wall of the benedictine monastery of Saint Paio de Antealtares. Paio is galician and in spanish is Pelayo, the man who discovered the grave of the apostle Santiago.
It was founded in the 11th century by the king Alfonso the 2nd with the mission of watching over the hermitage that kept the mortal remains of the Apostle and his disciples.
The wall, with its 48 windows with bars, suffered changes during the 17th century. Its design is very sober and the walls as a whole do not have any decoration. In the centre of the wall there is a stone plaque mentioning the Lliterary Batallion. The Lliterary Batallion was organized by a group of university students in order to defend Galicia against the troops of Napoleón. The rest of the wall consists of a cross and the long bench along the bottom of the wall.
The monastery was left in 1499 by the Benedictine monks and was occupied by the nuns and, at this moment, the church and the convent were dedicated to Saint Paio who was a behead martyr in Cordoba when he was only a child.
Nowadays, the building is a convent and the museum of holy art. Under the square there was a graveyard and an unusual number of niches for children.Costa Sur
The Church of San Agustín is located in the square of the same name. It was built in the mid-17th century with money that the Count of Altamira donated to the Order of the Calced Augustinians.
The church and cloister were designed by Fernández Lechuga. The neoclassical façade contains an image of Our Lady of the Wall.
The original project included two towers, the one on the right was never completed and the one on the left was destroyed by lightning in 1788.
The convent was abandoned during the period of secularisation and thereafter dedicated to different uses. It is now occupied by the Jesuits.Santiago Turismo
18th c. Neoclassical
The façade was designed by Melchor de Prado Mariño. Four Ionic pilasters fluted into a large central oculus brighten up this plain architectural work.Santiago Turismo
The place is spectacular, both the religious site itself and the atrium which stretches out beyond the wall to the “magical” stones, which boast curative and prophetic properties: the Abalar Stone, the Cadrís Stone and the Temón Stone. They are in fact the remains of the vessel in which according to legend the Virgin Mary came to encourage St. James in his task of evangelisation.
The church was rebuilt various times – it is believed that on three occasions – until the present one was erected in 1719, paid for by the Counts of Maceda. The ashes of the nobles rest inside two sarcophagi inside the church.
The shrine blends in with its surroundings. The style is Baroque, although you can only appreciate the rich decoration of the altarpieces, the unmistakable aroma of a sacred site and the votive offerings left by pilgrims and sailors from the inside. Both pilgrims and seafaring people left these offerings as pledges for their requests or promises kept by Our Lady.
Muxía is also the last point on the Way of St. James to the Atlantic and more and more pilgrims come along the Coastal Road and the Royal Highway.
Other elements on the site are the stone cross, the rectory and the simple belfry.Caminando cara o mar
The Church of San Martiño Pinario is located in the Plaza de la Inmaculada. This church is the second most important church in Santiago de Compostela, after the Cathedral. The Benedictine Order was the group that founded the church and monastery. There was a large group of architects responsible for the construction of this huge building, which took place after 1494.
Mateo Lopez did the first designs. Bartolome Fernandez Lechuga built the ribbed dome and organized the interior. Peña y Toro worked on strengthening the walls. Fray Tomas Alonso and Fray Gabriel de las Casas worked on the facade, cloisters, belfry and monastic rooms.
The facade of the building is Plateresque in style, but there are many Baroque touches in the church. The pediment in the front shows an equestrian statue of St. Martin, flanked by angels, sharing his cape with a beggar. The church has a Latin cross ground plan with a nave and two aisles. The magnificent main Baroque altarpiece was designed by Casas y Novoa and made by Romai. The Baroque choir stalls were made in walnut by Mateo de Prado and are the most important in Galicia and among the best in all of Spain. The reliefs on them depict the scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary and the history of the Benedictine Order.
The best chapels are those of Nuestra Señora del Socorro by Casas y Novoa, El Cristo de la Paciencia, and Santa Gertrudis and Santa Escolastica.
There is an unusual flight of steps between the square and the church. There is a monastery attached that is huge, about 20,000 square meters in size.
The Church of San Fructuoso is also known as the Sorrows of Down or Royal Anguish but prevails the name of the Bishop of Tarraco who was martyred in the year 259, during the persecutions decreed by Valerian and Gallienus.
The temple is situated at Rua da Trindade, very close to the Plaza del Obradoiro, which is on a higher plane so it offers the best views of that temple especially from the auction of Real- Hospital.
Also for this building decoration is especially prevalent in the upper half, towering central coat of Spain on running a ledge with statues of the four Virtues (Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude and Justice), popularly identified with bats in the deck . Above, a bell tower with pinnacles and ornate scrolls and back a semicircular dome. In the lower part presents a lintel with the Virgin of Mercy in niche flanked by reliefs representing the souls in Purgatory door. All this in a slightly curved facade to suit the peculiar position at a lower level.
The architect was Lucas Ferro Caaveiro , who directed the construction work between 1754 and 1765 giving the set of typical churrigueresque of Spain at the time, so abundant in Santiago that makes up what is called Compostela Baroque. Inside, central plant, are interesting the altarpiece , the work of Luis Lorenzana in 1769, and Piedad neoclassical there at the altar, were responsible for these Antón Fernández or hair .
Flights to World
This church, situated in one of the city’s oldest areas, was erected by Prado Mariño on the site of a 10th-century construction that was rebuilt in the 12th century by Archbishop Xelmírez.
The church, despite its sober and pure design and in accordance with its small size, has a certain monumental appearance. It has a single central tower and a single nave with side chapels. The beautiful baroque sculptures of St. Anthony, St. Joseph and St. John the Baptist stand out inside.Santiago Turismo