The monastery Saint Paio of Antealtares is one of the oldest monasteries in Spain.
In the east zone of the square is the endless wall of the benedictine monastery of Saint Paio de Antealtares. Paio is galician and in spanish is Pelayo, the man who discovered the grave of the apostle Santiago.
It was founded in the 11th century by the king Alfonso the 2nd with the mission of watching over the hermitage that kept the mortal remains of the Apostle and his disciples.
The wall, with its 48 windows with bars, suffered changes during the 17th century. Its design is very sober and the walls as a whole do not have any decoration. In the centre of the wall there is a stone plaque mentioning the Lliterary Batallion. The Lliterary Batallion was organized by a group of university students in order to defend Galicia against the troops of Napoleón. The rest of the wall consists of a cross and the long bench along the bottom of the wall.
The monastery was left in 1499 by the Benedictine monks and was occupied by the nuns and, at this moment, the church and the convent were dedicated to Saint Paio who was a behead martyr in Cordoba when he was only a child.
Nowadays, the building is a convent and the museum of holy art. Under the square there was a graveyard and an unusual number of niches for children.Costa Sur
The Church of San Agustín is located in the square of the same name. It was built in the mid-17th century with money that the Count of Altamira donated to the Order of the Calced Augustinians.
The church and cloister were designed by Fernández Lechuga. The neoclassical façade contains an image of Our Lady of the Wall.
The original project included two towers, the one on the right was never completed and the one on the left was destroyed by lightning in 1788.
The convent was abandoned during the period of secularisation and thereafter dedicated to different uses. It is now occupied by the Jesuits.Santiago Turismo
18th c. Neoclassical
The façade was designed by Melchor de Prado Mariño. Four Ionic pilasters fluted into a large central oculus brighten up this plain architectural work.Santiago Turismo
The Church of San Martiño Pinario is located in the Plaza de la Inmaculada. This church is the second most important church in Santiago de Compostela, after the Cathedral. The Benedictine Order was the group that founded the church and monastery. There was a large group of architects responsible for the construction of this huge building, which took place after 1494.
Mateo Lopez did the first designs. Bartolome Fernandez Lechuga built the ribbed dome and organized the interior. Peña y Toro worked on strengthening the walls. Fray Tomas Alonso and Fray Gabriel de las Casas worked on the facade, cloisters, belfry and monastic rooms.
The facade of the building is Plateresque in style, but there are many Baroque touches in the church. The pediment in the front shows an equestrian statue of St. Martin, flanked by angels, sharing his cape with a beggar. The church has a Latin cross ground plan with a nave and two aisles. The magnificent main Baroque altarpiece was designed by Casas y Novoa and made by Romai. The Baroque choir stalls were made in walnut by Mateo de Prado and are the most important in Galicia and among the best in all of Spain. The reliefs on them depict the scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary and the history of the Benedictine Order.
The best chapels are those of Nuestra Señora del Socorro by Casas y Novoa, El Cristo de la Paciencia, and Santa Gertrudis and Santa Escolastica.
There is an unusual flight of steps between the square and the church. There is a monastery attached that is huge, about 20,000 square meters in size.
The Church of San Fructuoso is also known as the Sorrows of Down or Royal Anguish but prevails the name of the Bishop of Tarraco who was martyred in the year 259, during the persecutions decreed by Valerian and Gallienus.
The temple is situated at Rua da Trindade, very close to the Plaza del Obradoiro, which is on a higher plane so it offers the best views of that temple especially from the auction of Real- Hospital.
Also for this building decoration is especially prevalent in the upper half, towering central coat of Spain on running a ledge with statues of the four Virtues (Prudence, Temperance, Fortitude and Justice), popularly identified with bats in the deck . Above, a bell tower with pinnacles and ornate scrolls and back a semicircular dome. In the lower part presents a lintel with the Virgin of Mercy in niche flanked by reliefs representing the souls in Purgatory door. All this in a slightly curved facade to suit the peculiar position at a lower level.
The architect was Lucas Ferro Caaveiro , who directed the construction work between 1754 and 1765 giving the set of typical churrigueresque of Spain at the time, so abundant in Santiago that makes up what is called Compostela Baroque. Inside, central plant, are interesting the altarpiece , the work of Luis Lorenzana in 1769, and Piedad neoclassical there at the altar, were responsible for these Antón Fernández or hair .
Flights to World
This church, situated in one of the city’s oldest areas, was erected by Prado Mariño on the site of a 10th-century construction that was rebuilt in the 12th century by Archbishop Xelmírez.
The church, despite its sober and pure design and in accordance with its small size, has a certain monumental appearance. It has a single central tower and a single nave with side chapels. The beautiful baroque sculptures of St. Anthony, St. Joseph and St. John the Baptist stand out inside.Santiago Turismo
This small chapel is very simple compared to other great architectural works that abound in the city of Santiago de Compostela. Designed by Miguel Ferro Caaveiro, was completed following the supervision of Maestro Ventura Rodriguez. Specifically, the work began in 1784, and only four years later (1788), the consecration of the temple took place.
The chapel is dedicated to the souls in purgatory … whose devotees were who were responsible for fund through donations and charity works.
Its facade is neoclassical in which we highlight the low existing relief in the center of the pediment, with the representation of the souls in Purgatory.
Rectangular with a single nave. The presbytery, (space that precedes the main altar), has a chapel bigger than the three side chapels, but narrower than the nave.
The iconography existent in this church is associated with the invocation of the Holy Christ of Mercy, the religiosity of the brotherhood and specific ceremonial of the Cross.
Note that regardless of its simplicity, is nothing more and nothing less than nine altarpieces, depicting the Passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
They are incomplete .. since the entire work should have a total of 13 altarpieces .. of which the last 4, never performed.
The existing 9 were performed in the early nineteenth century through the work of Manuel de Prado, who used it in his plaster stucco building on bricks, which also curious is unique in Santiago de Compostela.
Tourism Santiago de Compostela