Cathedral of Transfiguration
Construction of this cathedral, on the bank of the Volga River, at the historic town of Uglich, began about 1715 on the site of an earlier church. It was built of stone during a time when Peter the Great had ruled that stone could only be used for construction in St. Petersburg. Either the cathedral was began before the decree or it received a dispensation.
Five dark green domes top the yellow and white building. The interior is one large vault covered with both frescoes and painted icons. There are a number of side rooms which display an extensive collection of Icons. There’s a free standing bell tower near the front entrance.
Tour groups are usually treated to a short concert by a small group of acapella singers. The acoustics of the interior are remarkable and five singers sound like a large choir.Waymarking