Church of Epiphany
This Cathedral, currently under restoration, is part of the Bogoyavlenski convent in Uglich.
Construction of the large complex of the Bogoyavlenski monastery, a women’s convent was began in the late 17th century. The massive Bogoyavleniye Cathedral was built between 1830 and 1853. It was allowed to fall into extreme disrepair but restoration is now in progress with much of the exterior completed. In the summer of 2007 scaffolding remained on one wall but on other sides the white stone walls are renovated and blue domes are restored. The original building had frescoes in the arches near the top but these have not yet been replaced.
The church is Russian-Byzantine style which combines aspects of traditional Russian architecture with 19th century styles.