Church of St. Lawrence
Originally built by the Jesuits before 1560, this is one of the oldest churches of Macao. The present-day building was the result of the works carried out in 1846. Situated on the southern coastline of Macao overlooking the sea, families of Portuguese sailors used to gather on the front steps of the church to pray and wait for their return, hence it was given the name: Feng Shun Tang (Hall of the Soothing Winds).
St. Lawrence’s Church is a neo-classical structure. The main façade of the church is divided into three sections, with the centre flanked by the two square towers, each measuring around 21 metres high. The central section of the main façade is characterized by a pediment interrupted in the middle by an oval emblem. The ground plan of the church is in the shape of a Latin cross, measuring 37 metres by 29 metres. The shorter arms of the building form two interior chapels. The longer extension of the building corresponds to the main nave inside, with the main altar separated by a vaulted arch. Ornamented pillars and exquisite chandeliers create an elegant church interior, heightening its ambience.Macau Heritage